The above lesson includes audio (so remember to switch on your speakers). Use the play/ pause button if you need to stop and start the lesson. This fraction lesson is number 2 of 6 and covers the important concept of equivalent fractions.
Related Fractions Lessons
The Fractions Lesson explained above is aligned with the standard 3NF01 from the Common Core Standards For Mathematics (see the shortened extract below). The resources below are also aligned to this standard.
Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts; understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by a parts of size 1/b
Math Games From The BBC
- Identifying Fractions with Cuisenaire Rods (1 of 2)
- Identifying Fractions (1 of 6) - with half, thirds, fourths, and fifths
- Identifying Fractions (2 of 6) - with fifths, sixths, eighths, tenths, and twelfths
- Identifying Fractions (3 of 6) - with twelfths, fifteenths, sixteenths, and twentieths
- Identifying Fractions (4 of 6) - requiring shading for half, thirds, fourths, fifths
- Identifying Fractions (5 of 6) - requiring shading for fifths, sixths, eighths, tenths, twelfths
- Identifying Fractions (6 of 6) - requiring shading for twelfths, fifteenths, sixteenths, twentieths
- Identifying Fractions e.g. What fraction is shaded?
- Writing Fractions e.g. 2/ 5, two fifths
Similar to the above listing, the resources below are aligned to related standards in the Common Core For Mathematics that together support the following learning outcome:
Develop understanding of fractions as numbers